Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Red Tent


I'm in love with this book. I mean, I'm in love with this book. It's so wonderful. If you haven't read this book, you must do it as soon as possible.

It is based on the story of Jacob, in the bible. But this time, it's not about the man. It's about the women. And, in my opinion, it is usually the story about the women that is much more entertaining. His only daughter Dinah is the narrator and from the introduction I was more than hooked, I was enthralled.

I have to admit that the women all sharing one husband seems at first to be such a horrible position for the women, while reading this book I feel like the relationships between the whole family was more important than the relationship between the couple.

I was enlightened to the fact that my life as a woman is touched just as much by my female relationships as it is with my husband. If I had "sister wives", Sarah would be the one who could sing all the songs, play all the games, and organize all the functions. Lisa would be the one who would keep us all in line, take care of the ones who needed taking care of and figuring out new solutions to all the problems.  As for me? We'd all be happiest if I was the wife who took over the cleaning, and organizing of our living conditions. I'd be the one who took care of the babies. Or at least that was my vision of how a life with one husband and many wives would look like.

And the Red Tent. Oh the Red Tent. How wonderful would life be if we were able to stop everything and sit back and relax in the quite for 3 days out of every month. It sounded so idealistic, but nice.

This is one woman's idea of what may have happened during Dinah's lifetime. I loved it.

4 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Read it. Loved it too. It not only was hard to put down but has continued to help me when I read the old testiment. Lots of history. And yes red tent....sign me up. Maybe we should start a three day spa called the Red Tent. You in?

Rachel said...

Sounds wonderful, sign me up!

Unknown said...

Ok, I totally can't wait to read this now! You've talked me into it! I love how you assigned Sarah, Lisa, you and I roles...mine would have to be only when I'm NOT pregnant!! LOL!

Sarah Reynolds said...

You are welcome to the cleaning and cooking! I think I would enjoy the playing and singing, as long as it was for fun and not work! :)

blogger trackerblogger templates