Friday, March 11, 2011

Recreating the Blimpie Sandwich

In all my years of living in Salem, I have missed Blimpie's the most.  I will admit to being addicted to Cobby's sandwiches, but since Scott and my kids love them too, and it's so close to the Boise townhouse, I get it often enough that I'm over most of my cravings.  But Blimpie's is not close to the townhouse, and Blimpie's is not in Salem.  
 I use to eat their sandwiches all the time when I was in college and adored the bread, the cheese (no meat, I was a vegetarian the whole time I was in college), the lettuce, the onion and, of course, the oil and vinegar.  No matter what I did, I could never figure out how to recreate that sandwich or find a sandwich shop that did as great of a job.
But now, I've found the recipe.  I was so excited to open up my Food Network Magazine and find the perfect recipe for an Italian sandwich.  I have had to make them 3 to 5 times a week since finding it, and I swear Scott is going to put us in the poor house, because the meats are so expensive.  It's worth it, but it is so expensive.  I've tweaked a few things but here is the recipe.

Rachel's Version of a Blimpie's Sandwich

1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
8 slices sourdough wheat bread
red wine vinegar
extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 lb provolone cheese
1/4 lb genoa salami
1/4 lb ham
1/4 lb mortadella
1/4 lb capicola
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce finely shredded
1 tomato thinly sliced
dried oregano

Soak onions in cold water.  Drizzle with vinegar and olive oil on sliced bread (2 Tbls each).  Layer cheese and meat, lettuce and tomato.  Drizzle with vinegar and olive oil and sprinkle with oregano. 
Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

Dotsy said...

And black pepper.....I LOVED Blimpie's..it was my "stress" food...
The smell of the place calmed me down...I would get off the express bus...instead of crossing Carrollton to my house, I walked across the parking lot to Blimpie's and so enjoyed the smells and watching the guy make my Blimpie..on Friday and know I could not really afford, buy I was REALLY in burnout and Blimpie's kept me going...once a week in Friday and I could keep going...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the magic that goes into this delightful sub
Bought the ingredients today and will make it tonight,so very excited as we haven’t had a blimpy’s in many years hear in Edmonton Alberta Canada

blogger trackerblogger templates