Thursday, March 10, 2011

Catching up on Reading



Wow, it's been such a long time since I've written on this blog.  I started this one, because I felt like I was getting so lost in motherhood.  I felt like everything I did, everything I said, everything I was, had to do with raising Sawyer.  I wanted to make sure I took care of me at the same time.  And not just by working out and eating healthy, by mentally being a person outside of being a mother.
I, of course, have been reading and cooking these last two years, but just not documenting what books I've liked (or don't) and what great recipes I've found (or haven't had time to find).  I started to track my books on facebook and realized that I was willing to blog about books again.
My most recent and favorite book that I've read is Room.  What a fantastic book.  I didn't know what the book was about, just grabbing it off the list of books in Sarah's kindle library (which has been so much fun because now we read the same books, at the same time and can discuss them right away), and when I realized it was being told by a 5 year old boy, I was very skeptical.  A boy, that is living in a room, with his mother, and they don't go outside or leave the room at all.  It's a book about overcoming the cards that life has dealt to you.  It's about how to adapt and how someone really can take a situation that is so overwhelming, so difficult, so awful and yet turn it into something else.  I love it.



Oprah was not a book that touched me, or made be feel anything or showed me how to be better, live better or have more compassion.  It was a book that made me realize all it not always as it seems.  I realized that someone who you can feel like is so compassionate, so caring, so insightful and asks all those hard questions, really may be just doing it all to increase her bottom line.  May really be in it to win it, and not to help save the world from itself.  May quote things like, "Live you best life", which is an amazing way to look at life, but was really just saying it so that the average housewife would want to watch the show and try to see what Oprah says to do next.  I still appreciated all the great things Oprah, the show opened my eyes to and all the great advice people on her show gave (such as making sure to love your husband and then to love your kids)and, of course, Dr. Oz and his book You on a Diet.  But I am less impressed with Oprah, the person, now that I have read this book.  She's definitely a hard worker, and person that has amazing drive and determination and definitely deserves everything she has...but it's just what she's done along the way that is so interesting to read about.  It's the other side of Oprah that was really eye opening.
     
There are a number of other books that I have recently read and have enjoyed.  I just would like to start writing about books that I have just finished instead of going back and reviewing all the books I've read in the last 2 years.

No comments:

blogger trackerblogger templates