Saturday, January 5, 2008

The No. 1 Ladies's Detective Agency

I have always enjoyed a good mystery. Before I become a literature snob, I use to be so excited waiting for the next Kinsey Malone (Sue Grafton), Alex Cross (James Patterson) mystery. Now I find more enjoyment with books that may not be quite as suspenseful, but leave me feeling like I may be a better person for reading them.

Thanks to Stephanie, I found a nice mix of both. Alexander McCall Smith has written a series of books about a woman who decides to become a detective in Botswana. Mma Ramotswe's adventures are not only entertaining but even a little insightful.

I loved the resolution for the man who comes in wondering what his wife really does all day, and who is really paying for his son's education. I love the stories of people who live a simpler life and yet still need help resolving those ever present mysteries in their lives. I love reading about the lives of people living in Africa.
These are great books and I would recommend them for anyone that loves books about women detectives.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading them! I get such great satisfaction out of finishing these little books because they aren't complicated, have nice lessons to learn, and have a good balance of mystery and humor involved.

And, on the plus side, the series has been around for awhile so there's no waiting to read the next book!

Anonymous said...

Hi there - I found your blog looking for some recipes for my new Demarle products.

Your tales and photos are wonderful!

Leslie
http://leslieaross.spaces.live.com

blogger trackerblogger templates