Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Quiche

I grew up having quiche for breakfast on Christmas morning. Quiche, made by my mother and homemade cinnamon rolls made by my grandmother. That's what we had EVERY Christmas. Scott does not like eggs. He actually refused to eat anything with eggs until my mom served him some one Christmas that we were in Boise. He ate it and actually enjoyed it.
So, I looked and looked and a couple of years ago found this casserole recipe. It is not too eggy, but it's enough like quiche that I feel my Christmas breakfast tradition has been fulfilled and Scott can't seem to get enough of it.
Christmas Breakfast Quiche
1 pound ground pork sausage, cooked
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon Penzey's mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon 4 S salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups skim milk
6 slices Great Harvest Sourdough Wheat Bread, toasted and cut into cubes
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk.
Add the sausage, mushrooms, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly.
Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes.
Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F .
Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YUMMY! And look how beautiful it looks in the fluted square!!

Jenny said...

Do you sell Demarle cookware? I used to and had the Star mold, but gave it as a gift. I want another one.
jennifer franzen
jennylynfran@aol.com

blogger trackerblogger templates