Thursday, October 25, 2007

Too many sad books

The books I've been reading this month have not really been all that uplifting. They've all been books I've really enjoyed reading and I feel like I've gotten something from all the books. But they've been heavy reading and I think I might have to read something light and trivial before I start feeling too down.

I finished The Kite Runner and once I was done, I found out that a movie based on the book is just finishing production. The Kite Runner was a good book, but the main character loses my sympathy and compassion early on and never really recovers. I enjoyed reading the book, and Meghan called right when I got to a part that had me in tears, so I can't say I wasn't entertained...but I'm sad with how it ended. It seemed like it took a wrong turn and then never fully recovered. I realize, of course, that I want it to be a perfect and happy ending and that's not how it ends.


After The Kite Runner, I started The Poisonwood Bible. This is a fairly thick, Oprah's Book Club Book (which I refused to read anything in her book club due to the continually depressing stories, but I've returned) and I read it fairly quickly. It reminded me a lot of We Were the Mulvaneys (which was the whole reason I quit reading OBC selections). The Poisonwood Bible is better in the way that the father didn't totally destroy the lives of his family. It's the same in that the father goes insane and all rest of the family is helpless for way too long. I'd recommend The Poisonwood Bible, it does have a better ending and it's nice to see people overcoming problems set in motion before they had control over their lives. The setting of the book draws at my heartstrings with the way we've taken over land/people/a way of life, in the sometimes detrimental thinking that we're helping.


Then I moved onto my favorite book of the month, so far. I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. The beginning of the book had me so thankful that the most painful thing I had to endure during my early years, was a number of trips to the ER for stitches. This story is about a woman, who writes to her friend about why she lived her life the way she did. It's so well written and it's a life that at times I was so envious of the close knit groups and bonds women had together, while at others I felt sadness that women had to live lives determined by others, and with no control over anything or anyone, especially themselves. I loved this book, but it has so much sadness throughout the story.


I really think my problem is that the weather is so gray right now, I need uplifting stories that are inspirational, all around...not just a certain points.

2 comments:

Sarah Reynolds said...

I just finished Me and Emma. WOW!! It is definitely a book you immediately turn to the first page after you have read the last. No wonder you didn't say much as I was reading it.
This book is an in depth look at the injustices of child abuse and the true destruction of the child's psyche. We should all champion for the children. Our children are so blessed.

Sarah Reynolds said...

Having just finished Snow Flower and the Fan, I was so saddened to see how one could get so caught up in what is expected, normed, traditioned and miss the true meaning of the friendship. Sometimes I think we forget to drop the "formalities" of relationships and embrace the true emotion and feeling that connection brings.
Trent was freaked out about the description of the 7 centimeter feet...had to share it!

blogger trackerblogger templates