Friday, July 8, 2011

A Walk on the Wild Side

I crossed over to the wild side and I'm still a little uncertain about the move.  
I am a runner.  That's my thing.   I may not be the fastest and I may not be able to run the furthest, but I run.  I like it and I feel good doing it.  A friend of mine encouraged me to cross train and join a spin class. I'm so glad I did, because I think it's given me the break my IT band really needs.  I still run at least 3 times a week, but the other 2 days I ride a bike.  
While riding the spin bike I wear what I always wear running...a t shirt and shorts or a t shirt and sweats.  I am not at the gym for social hour.  I am not at the gym to be able to say I went.  I am one of those annoying people that go to the gym for results.  I don't wear makeup, I don't do my hair, and I definitely don't buy clothes to wear to the gym.  I am just not that girl....until now...
I just couldn't do it anymore.  I couldn't keep riding the bike in sweats, they were getting in the way and making me too hot.  I was concerned that with my running shorts I was maybe not getting the coverage I needed on the bike....not that the instructor was looking, but still, no one wants to see that.  I decided I had to get a pair of biking shorts.  
I didn't want to do it because they are so form fitting.  I know how women look in form fitted outfits, and I hear all the men commenting on said outfits.  I don't have a distorted view on my size, but I don't go to the gym to impress anyone...okay maybe my husband... and I don't go to the gym in order to embarrass myself, I'm there for me.  
So, I very reluctantly decided to go ahead and walk into a specialty store and try on bike shorts.  It's funny because something that I was so dreading actually turned out to be fun and ego boosting.  The sales women were so excited to "dress me up".  They brought me way more than I even wanted to try on, but it was hard not to get into the whole workout shopping experience when they kept saying how great I looked.  I know that I'm not a big girl, but to look good in all the extra small outfits and to have these women telling me that I looked fantastic in the them was more than I could take.  
So I spent $150 on these adorable outfits.  I walked away with bags full of stuff.  But not just stuff, MATCHING WORKOUT CLOTHES!  Once I got home and opened the bag, I decided that the sales women had made their money that day.  They may have boosted my ego into outer space and while it was there, it dropped my mind off too.  HELLO...I do not wear matching workout gear.  I do not go to the gym to look trendy.  What was I thinking?  I could barely look at myself in the mirror.  When I "modeled" the outfits for Scott, he looked at me and said, "That's not really your style, is it?"  And I had to agree.  
I am not the girl who looks good at the gym.  And I don't want to be the girl who looks good at the gym.   What was I thinking???
I have to admit, out of all the clothes I bought, I decided to keep a pair of form fitted running shorts (which my husband loves) and I did keep one pair of biking shorts, which was the whole reason I went into the store in the first place...for one pair of biking shorts.  I did not keep the matching tops that went perfectly with said shorts though.  The rest is going back to the store...where someone else, who is way more in touch with her sense of style can purchase them and happily wear them to the gym.  

No comments:

blogger trackerblogger templates