Monday, March 21, 2011

Running

I've been running again, and despite the pain in my IT Band, it's been going fairly well.  The problem I am having is the difference between jogging 6-10 miles and running 3-5 miles.  I have been jogging with my friend Janine, and we do 9 to 9 1/2 minute miles for 6 to 10 miles, depending on how she's doing.  I love to run with her, because we visit the whole time, and my knee never hurts jogging but once we stop, I am immediately recovered.  I doubt my heart rate gets up very high, which probably means I'm burning fat, but that may just be wishful thinking.
I called my dad and complained about my ability to jump on a treadmill and run 7 1/2 minute miles but then the agony I suffer with my knee for days afterwards.  He then told me how he understands and when he runs 10 miles, at a 6 minute pace on his treadmill his feet really hurt him.  WHAT!?!?  6 minute pace for 10 miles???  I am such a slacker!!!  I was impressed with 2 miles at 7 1/2 minutes.  What I realized is that I am setting the bar way too low. 
So to help motivate me, I've decided to track my running.  I'm going to try to work up my speed, while at the same time work up the distance.  I'm going to be happy jogging 6-10 miles, because it'll help with endurance, and on the treadmill I'm going to try to work on increasing my speed for shorter runs 3-5 miles, and then we will see how I do.
I'm keeping a log, but at this point in time I'm able to run 6 miles at 9 minutes, without working too hard and I yesterday I ran 3 miles at 8 1/2 minute pace without feeling too tired. (I also had to go slow because I had to buy another new pair of shoes because the Nike's I bought were so stiff that it not only hurt and made my feet go numb on the stairclimber but cramped my foot and injured my toe while running.)  This week I'm going to take it slow  and steady and then kick it up a little next week.
Goal, to run 5 miles at a 6 minute pace.

No comments:

blogger trackerblogger templates